The increased activity on the Caldor Fire over Echo Summit has forced officials to expand mandatory evacuations into South Lake Tahoe and throughout the western shore of Lake Tahoe.
The new evacuation orders include most of South Lake Tahoe, including:
- Tahoe Keys
- Tahoe Islands
- Al Tahoe
- Sierra Tract
Evacuation order means to pack up leave immediately. Currently, police are going door-to-door in the area to announce the order to residents. There is also an evacuation warning in the eastern portion of South Lake Tahoe. With winds expected to reach 35 mph in the area today, those residents would be best to leave now and/or pack their belongings as soon as possible.
The routes out of town have also been limited with the closure of Highway 89 on the west shore of the lake:
Here are all the evacuation orders as of 11 am Monday:
• All residences with the Tahoe Keys community and all residents accessed from the streets
connected to Tahoe Keys Blvd, staying east of 3rd Street.
• East of Highway 50/ Highway 89 at the at the Lake Tahoe Blvd and Highway 89 Highway 50
intersection. This includes the area of Barton Hospital and the area of Winnemucca to the “Y”. Also
north of Highway 50 west of Tahoe Keys Blvd following along the north side of Highway 89 through
the end of town prior to Pope Beach.
• All residences off of Lakeview which is west of Highway 50 North of Blue Lakes Road and east of
Tahoe Keys Neighborhood.
• All residences on both sides of Highway 50 for the streets connected to O’Malley, Lodi, Silver
Dollar and Rubicon Trail.
• The residences between Al Tahoe on the east side of Johnson Blvd to include the streets of
Treehaven and Fremont and extending to the east in to all residences west of Ski Run and east of
• Evacuate Eastbound on Highway 50 towards Nevada.
• Truckee Veterans Hall 10214 High Street, Truckee, CA 96161
• Douglas County Community Center, 1329 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, NV