Mt. Shasta Ski Park Receives Lackluster Snowfall, Putting Opening Day in Question

Mt. Shasta Ski Park was hopeful this week’s storm would bring plenty of snow – potentially enough to begin operating the lifts this weekend. Alas, with only 3 inches falling at the base, they may have difficulty opening until 2021.

“Although it did snow last night, it was less than anticipated,” wrote Mt. Shasta Ski Park on Instagram. “We received 2-3 inches at the base which is far from what we need to open. We will be seeking snow making opportunities this next week but we can not make up the difference in snow by snow making before the weekend. We will not be open this weekend.”

A look at the 10-day forecast for Mt. Shasta puts the next storm 8 days away on Christmas Day. With the dusting of snow currently sitting at the base, much of that snow could disappear before that storm, leaving a lot more snow needed for opening.

That being said, the Christmas to New Year forecast is what could put the resort in the position to open:

Keep snow dancing, NorCal!

Active NorCal

Northern California's Outdoor Digital Newsmagazine

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: