The Fawn Fire continued to burn through north Redding on Thursday night, destroying dozens of homes and forcing the evacuation of thousands of people near Shasta Lake.
As of Friday morning, the fire stands at 5,500 acres with 5 percent containment as it burns north of the Tierra Oaks subdivision. A Thursday night report from CalFire confirmed 25 homes had been destroyed by the flames in the Poco Vista, Woodchuck Trail, Stockton/Sunrise areas. It remains unknown if that number grew overnight.
4,000 Shasta residents evacuated, 30,000 affected by the #FawnFire — it's way over 1,200 acres burning north of Redding, according to officials.— Dylan Taylor Brown (@dylantbrown) September 24, 2021
video > @krcrphoto #wildfires #CaliforniaFires
EVAC MAP >> https://t.co/lplFi1HEXv
LATEST ON NUMBERS >> https://t.co/0Ymr1FwMHJ pic.twitter.com/5N0zkyeqAQ
On Wednesday, 30-year-old Alexandra Souverneva of Palo Alto was arrested near the fire line and charged with arson for starting the fire near Shasta Lake. According to witnesses, Souverneva was “acting irrationally” and needed assistance from firefighters to treat dehydration. It’s unknown if there was any motive.
Temperatures are expected to reach 90 degrees on Friday with light winds. All Gateway Unified School District campuses are closed on Friday due to the fire and Shasta College has also closed its campus out of “an abundance of caution.”
Evacuations remain in place in north Redding around Old Oregon Trail and Bear Mountain Road. Here are the current evacuations:
- All of Holiday Road south of Old Oregon Trail
- Tierra Oaks and the surrounding area
- All roads north of Old Oregon Trail at Akrich north to Pine Grove and east of Interstate 5
- All roads east of Dry Creek along Elk Trail east, north to Shasta Lake, and back down Dry Creek.
- All roads off of Old Oregon Trail in both directions between Bear Mountain north to Interstate 5
- All roads off of Bear Mountain in both directions between Dry Creek and Old Oregon Trail
- All roads on the west side of Interstate 5, west to the railroad tracks, and on the north side of Shasta Dam Boulevard north to Old Oregon Trail.
- All roads west of Interstate 5 to Ashby between Pine Grove and Shasta Dam.
- All roads west of Interstate 5 to the railroad tracks, south of Bass Dr to Old Oregon Trail.
- All Areas North of State Road 299 299 between Old Oregon Trail and Dry Creek.
- All roads east of Interstate 5 that are south of the Pit River Bridge to Admiral and east to the end of Radcliff
- All roads north of Old Oregon Trail and Akrich to the city limits of Shasta Lake.
- All roads north of State Highway 299 between Old Oregon Trail and Dry Creek.
- First Church of the Nazareen 2225 Bechelli Lane Redding, California 96002
- All roads off Old Oregon Trail in both directions between Bear Mountain Road north to Interstate 5. All roads off Bear Mountain Road in both directions from Dry Creek Road and Old Oregon Trail.