The Caldor Fire continues to grow in the Eldorado National Forest between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, destroying 400 homes and forcing thousands to evacuate the area. Now, the fire is just miles from beloved ski resorts Sierra-at-Tahoe and Kirkwood as winds continue to push the blaze towards Lake Tahoe.
The fire currently sits at 104,309 acres with 5 percent containment, with US Route 50 remaining closed in both directions. The fire has now jumped the highway with sweeping closures throughout the area due to heavy smoke and wildfire threat. Many businesses in the Tahoe region are closed and Sierra-at-Tahoe, Kirkwood and Heavenly have all closed their summer operations for the rest of the season.
“This is turning out to be a larger and more significant fire in California’s history,” said CalFire spokesperson Stephen Horner. “It’s far from over.”
On August 17, the town of Grizzly Flats was decimated from the fire, with at least 50 homes burned in the fire. Now, small towns in the Sierra including Twin Bridges and Kyburz sit in the dangerous path of the fire, which is being pushed by 20 mph winds.
On Monday, nine national forests in Northern California, including the Eldorado National Forest, were closed due to the threat of wildfires. The Trinity Alps Wilderness is closed to the public, along with Lassen Volcanic National Park, which has seen 50,000 acres burned in the Dixie Fire.
Meanwhile, the smoke has become dangerously unhealthy in Lake Tahoe, with photos online showing an apocalyptic outlook at beloved Big Blue:
Here is all of the evacuation information for the Caldor Fire:
AMADOR COUNTY -WARNINGS
- Shenandoah Road at the Amador County line west through the River Pines community, continuing west on Shenandoah Road to Ostrom Road.
- Southon Ostrom Road to Jibboom Street, West on Jibboom Street to Fiddletown Road. East on Fiddletown Road to Hale Road.
- South on Hale Road to ShakeRidge Road.
- East on Fiddletown Road to Hale Road. South on Hale Road to Shake Ridge Road.
- East on Shake Ridge Road to Charleston Road.
- South on Charleston Road to the intersection of Charleston Road and Rams Horn Grade.
- Due east to Highway 88 at Tiger Creek Road.
- Tiger Creek Road east to Salt Springs Reservoir Road.
- East on Salt Springs Reservoir Road to the east end of the Salt Springs Reservoir.
- Due north from the east end of Salt Springs Reservoir to Highway 88.
- South of the El Dorado-Amador County line with a western border of Highway 88 due south to the east end of Salt Springs Reservoir.
- Southern border of the Calaveras County line.
- Eastern border of the Alpine County line.
EL DORADO COUNTY – ORDERS
- Grizzly Flat: The areas on Grizzly Flats Road east of Kendra Way into Grizzly
- Flats Proper. The areas of Diamond Railroad Grade, Old School House, Sweeney Road, Caldor Road, and steely Ridge.
- Grizzly Flats Road east of four corners in somerset into Grizzly Flats Proper.
- The areas of Myers Lane, Varmet Ridge Road, Rodwell Canyon Road, Snowbird Lane, and Mehwald Lane.
- East of Sly Park Road between Highway 50 and Mormon Emigrant Trail to Ice House Road. This includes the communities of Pacific House and Fresh Pond.
- North of Highway 50, east of Forebay Road to Ice House Road.
- Intersection of Perry Creek and Hawk Haven, the East side of Fairplay Road from Perry Creek South to Cedarville Road. This includes Slug Gulch, Omo Ranch, and all roads off of Slug Gulch and Omo Ranch.
- All roads off of Omo Ranch from Cedarville Road to Hwy 88.
- The area between Highway 88 and Mormon Emigrant Trail
- South of Highway 50 from Snows Road to Ice House Road.
- Between Highway 50 and Slab Creek from Snows Road to Ice House Road.
- South of Highway 50 from Ice House Road to Silver Fork Road. This includes the community of Kyburz.
- North of Highway 50 from Ice House Road to Silver Fork Road to include Ice House Reservoir, Union Valley Reservoir, and Loon Lake.
- Silver Fork Road in Kyburz east to Twin Bridges.
- North and south in a line extending from Twin Bridges to the Placer County line and south to the Amador County line.
- Areas south of Farnham Ridge Road and east of Bridgeport School Road to the Amador County line.
EL DORADO COUNTY EVACUATION WARNINGS:
- North of Slab Creek to Wentworth Springs Road between Sand Mountain and Loon Lake.
- Mosquito Road from the bridge North to include the Community of Swansboro.
- North of Highway 50 to Slab Creek between Smith Flat and Snows Road.
- South of Highway 50 to Pleasant Valley between Smith Flat and Snows Road, and North of Pleasant Valley between Holm and Newtown.
- South of Pleasant Valley between Bucks Bar Road and Newtown Road, East of Bucks Bar Road to Mt Aukum Road.
- Southwest of Bucks Bar Road to Ladies Valley Road including the community of Outingdale, Ant Hill Road, Perry Creek Road and Sand Ridge between Ladies Valley Road and Bucks Bar Road.
- East of Mt Aukum Road (E16) from Bucks Bar Road to Omo Ranch Road. North of Omo Ranch Road to the intersection of Omo Ranch Road and Fairplay Road.
- South of Omo Ranch to the El Dorado County Line between Mt Aukum Road (E16) and Fairplay Road to include Coyoteville Road, Cedar Creek and all tributary roads.
- From the evacuation order line in Twin Bridges east to the Echo Summit and from Highway 50 south to the Amador and Alpine County lines and north to the Placer County line.
- Dry Lakes Section: This section is north of Wentworth Springs Road up to the Placer County line and the remaining section of El Dorado County south of Placer County to Loon Lake.
EL DORADO COUNTY – ROAD CLOSURES
- Highway 50 will be closed in both directions from the Sly Park Road exit to Twin Bridges. Highway 50 will be open between Meyers and Twin Bridges for local residents only who reside between Meyers and Twin Bridges. These residents will be subject to providing identification and proof of residency. No traffic will be allowed west past Twin Bridges.
Green Valley Community Church
3500 Missouri Flat Road
Evelynn Bishop Hall
701 Hwy 124
Rolling Hills Church
800 White Rock Road
El Dorado Hills, CA
Douglas County Community Center
1329 Waterloo Lane
- Shelter Full
Cameron Park CSD
2502 Country Club Drive
Cameron Park, CA
- Temporary Evacuation Point
Amador County Fairgrounds
18621 Sherwood Street
Animal Evacuation Centers:
- El Dorado County Animal Services: Call (530)-621-5795 (Small animals)
- Large Animal Shelter Amador County Fairgrounds 18621 Sherwood St., Plymouth (530)621-5795 or (530)647-6227
- Saureel Vineyards (large animals) 1140 Cold Springs Road Placerville, CA (530) 621-5795